"The workshop was a wonderful experience – a perfect size of group. Steven Shaw makes swimming look effortless, and is a great ambassador for the water. I would highly recommend Art of Swimming."
This workshop is for you if you can glide and/or swim with your face in the water and would like to develop a graceful and flowing breaststroke that doesn't put a strain on the spine or joints.
The aim of the workshop is to show you how to craft this extremely elegant stroke, enabling you to take full advantage of its major health benefits.
Breaststroke is easy to swim, but harder to swim well. Shaw Method breaststroke improves the mobility of the neck, shoulders, wrists, spine, hips, knees and ankles. It strengthens and tones the quadricep muscles at the front of the thighs and the hamstrings at the back. Despite being the slowest stroke it actually burns the most calories.
By the end of the workshop you will have worked on:
- Maintaining a healthy head/neck/back alignment during all phases of the stroke
- Perfecting a symmetrical leg action which prevents a twist of the spine
- Discovering how a long glide is at the heart of the stroke: it allows time to release breath and lengthen and widen the back
- Maintaining good timing for the arm and leg phases
- Coordinating a good breathing pattern
- Gaining maximum propulsion from the arm and leg action
Forthcoming breaststroke workshops:
There are currently no breaststroke workshops scheduled in this region.
Breaststroke workshops in other locations:
We also have a full programme of workshops around the UK. To find breaststroke workshops in other locations please check out our courses coming up section.
Before booking tuition with us please read our cancellation policy.